Friday, November 15, 2013

The Odd Bet



I'm going to preface this by griping about something else out there that is obviously bogus. Long before Internet poker took control of my life I used to spend most of my time on chess. The happiest times where in my teens and twenties long before computers ruined the game online.

There's a world championship going on in chess. GO CARLSEN!!!! So I've poked around and tried to find live analysis as the events unfold. This isn't really going to happen since the games are played at coffin (sleep) time for me. I did sign up for a free 30 day membership on ICC, probably the biggest site out there. Well the free account let's you watch five minutes of a video which is far short of being able to see the meat of the middle game.

So as I jump through hoops to register I actually try to play a game. I'm instantly greeted by the reason why I stopped dropping money on this site long ago. Once it becomes apparent I'm going to win my opponent magically loses their connection. And now to get the rating point increase I deserve I have to go through some bullshit process where "experts" adjudicate my game and declare my won position a win. How convenient that I simply couldn't be declared the winner.

After much investigation, just like I have spent years of my life investigating poker in general and PokerStars in particular it's fairly obvious that these opponents are not real people. They even had proclaimed Bots playing at a low level of play that would suddenly get all masterly after dropping a bishop in the first ten moves. I don't know how they expect this advertisement for the site would make someone break out the credit card to get the so called full benefits of the site.

Long ago I learned to avoid the normal sit and go hold'em games since all the market research, lack of AI that gets way better than average cards and employees are regularly popping in on. So for now these bullshit 50-50 tables are where I am at.

If you are doing something that I can't do, you are cheating. I can't bet in anything but even multiples of $10. Here we have three times when a player can and does bet an odd not multiple of ten amount. And just for good measure let's throw in someone not going all in when that $15 left behind will never make a comeback.

What's the problem if Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber start dating? Which one do you fell sorry for? What's the problem when Full Tilt goes bankrupt and is bought ought by PokerStars? Which graphics programmers of the same basic scam software do you feel sorry for?

No comments: