Saturday, January 19, 2013

Computer Games









There's one thing you can count on with a single player game of Civilization or what we have here, an obscure oldie, Season Ticket Baseball.

There is a known factor that you are not playing against real people. So cheating doesn't hurt anyone except the cheater.

Something I've learned from both Civ and this baseball game is that if you play it heads up without cheating you are destined to fail. The AI overcompensates for lack of any thought behind it by challenging you to overcome an impossible set of opponents that gradually get better. I collected my gold coins, ate some mushrooms, found the shotgun, killed the 1st level "boss" and saved the game. Sleep for two hours, trained some Orcs, raided a nunnery and I didn't have the foresight to raise my nun killing skills to level 3. Instead I chose to increase my picking locks skill. My hair is lice egg free, so I am content.

You don't get to the world series on Season Ticket Baseball without some serious time commitment. And this includes some serious time commitment on cheating.

So when you play a long term game, whether it's online or not, stuff happens that doesn't make any sense. You want a contract extension (actually misspelled in the database as contratc) and you want to tell me you would like to resign.

Resign? You're quitting? Oh, you mean re-sign. To sign on again.

This is exactly the way PokerStars operates. The AI doesn't care about grammar or math. It just keeps churning with no intelligence behind the facade of mindless fucktards that don't have anything better to do than go all in and post "GLLLLLLAAAAAAA"

It's been a long time since I've seen any chat and real play that makes me think I'm playing against real people.

No comments: