Thursday, September 20, 2012

Anatomy of a Bogus Table













I'm strangely reminded of an ages ago column by the local newspaper's idiot editor. And this was at a time when they had a number you could call in and leave a message that might make it in to their "Sportsline" which would maybe get published.

I had some fun with the line for awhile proving that any stupid shit you might say could make it into the newspaper. Considering that most of the comments were on the equivalent of "Pitt sucks, West Virginia rules!" and my ability to concoct something almost reasonable it did not surprise me.

This guy is the editor of the sports section. And the comment he made that made some readers call up was that he was amazed that when looking at the stats that in the NFL that total points scored equals total points given up across the league. He was all like, "Wow! What are the odds?" Hey genius they HAVE to be equal. It's some simple math.

It's pretty simple math that two players with over a million chips at a 40k max buy in game isn't reasonable. But it happens all the time. And here's why.

I don't want to slam sexymama too much because cartoon hot chicks make me quiver and make me want to buy Japanese anime. But he/she/it operated on the fake psychic mentality of going all in on the stupidest shit waiting until the psychic comment/crappy hand winning might score a correct guess/winner. And although successful for brief moments he/she/it exited the table with 0 after multiple rebuys in at 40k each.

When I first picked this table I had one player on the wait list. By the time I joined, someone else jumped in front, so now I'm third. By the time I finally got a seat at the table we've still got two positions with over a million chips. And a couple in the hundreds of thousands range. That's a whole lot of losing of major chips to get to that state.

Just like football. Chips won equals chips lost. And now subtract the chips won less the new free money rake which makes no sense.

After sitting and losing on some decent hands to go all in on since this was basically what they affectionately call an AIOF table I decided to stick with it. So many projects, so little time.

One of the big stacks over a million sits out. A loser from the early hands gets hot and after a few hands goes from less than 80k to over a million. There are still two positions with over a million. You didn't stop the problem. You just moved the non-random card problem.

Oh, and look see...after I sit at the table the wait list has grown behind me all hot and heavy to lose.

It doesn't surprise me that when I wait to make a move when this second millionaire sits out that I have success. I now have more chips than I've ever had on PokerFrauds.

No comments: