Tuesday, October 16, 2012

No Sense of Identity





























I'm not stupid enough to suggest that two Vietnamese people from Canada would buddy up and play together at the same table. The Vietnamese have pleasantly infested our lives including a sweet girl named Nhung that I now see is the Viet word for "velvet."

I'm not going to translate all the conversation. I don't need to. I just need to know that there was no conversation when I started at the table and there was a massive explosion of Vietnamese chat after it started.

As time marches on I see a smattering of English. Why? Posted in chat, and why not the Viet word for why? Why switch from lower case to caps lock? Why say that you are about lo leave soon and stick around?

But the weirdest and most curious aspect of these only two active chatters is the country of origin and their avatars. Both from Canada. One has an obviously Asian avatar and the other has chosen the most iconic symbol of Australia - the Koala bear. And further down the road someone from Australia pops up with an Asian female avatar. What are the odds?

At least the cosmic balance is maintained.

No comments: